The mining history of Cyprus has connected the name Cyprus, with the name of copper (Cuprous). In modern years, copper exploitation began around 1921. Today there are about 25 abandon sulphide mines around the Troodos Mountain. Some of the mines are partly restored for purposes of access, prevention of the acidic drainages and reduction of the visual disturbance.
The extraction of copper has left its mark.